Before filling your shop with products we need to introduce 3 product concepts - product classes, products, product variants.
Example: Book store - one of products would be “Introduction to Saleor”. The book is available in hard and soft cover, so there would be 2 product variants. Type of cover is only attribute which creates separate variants in our store, so we use product class named “Book” with activated variants and ‘Cover type’ variant attribute.
It’s most important object in shop. All cart and stock operations use variants. Even if your product don’t have multiple variants, we create one under the hood.
Describes common details of few product variants. When shop displays category view, items on the list are distinct products. If variant has no overrode property (example: price), default value is taken from product.
- Until this date product is not listed in storefront and is unavailable for users.
- Featured products are displayed on front page.
Think about it as template for your products. Multiple products can use same product class. Note: In interface product class is called Product Type
- Attributes shared with all product variants. Example: Publisher - all book variants are published by same company
- It’s what distinguishes different variants. Example: Cover type - your book can be in hard or soft cover.
- Mark as false for products which does not need shipping. Could be used for digital products.
- If your product has no different variants or if you want to create separate product for every one of them - turn this option off. Note: this option simplifies dashboard. There is always variant created under the hood.
Changing a product class affects all products of this class.
You can’t remove product class if it has any products.
Attributes can help you better describe your products. Also, the can be used to filter items in category views. There are 2 types of attributes - choice type and text type. If you don’t provide choice values, then attribute is text type.
- Choice type: Every shirt you sell can be made in 3 colors. Then you create attribute Color with 3 choice values (for example ‘Red’, ‘Green’, ‘Blue’)
- Text type: Number of pages
Example - Coffee¶
Your shop sells Coffee from around the world. Customer can order 1kg, 500g and 250g packages. Orders are shipped by couriers.
|Country of origin||Brazil, Vietnam, Colombia, Indonesia|
|Package size||1kg, 500g, 250g|
|Product Attributes||Country of origin|
|Variant Attributes||Package size|
|Is shipping required||Yes|
|Name||Best Java Coffee|
|Country of Origin attribute||Indonesia|
|Description||Best coffee found on Java island!|
|Package size attribute||Price|
Example - Online game item¶
You have great selection of online games items. Each item is unique, important details are included in description. Bought items are shipped directly to buyer account.
|Game||Kings Online, War MMO, Target Shooter|
|Product Attributes||Game, Max attack|
|Is shipping required||No|
|Product class||Name||Price||Game attribute||Max attack attribute||Description|
|Game item||Magic Fire Sword||$199||Kings Online||8000 damage||Unique sword for any fighter. Set your enemies in fire!|
|Game item||Rapid Pistol||$2500||Target Shooter||250 damage||Fastest pistol in whole game.|